Wednesday, May 13, 2009

All Stitched Up.....or "War Machine"

Just before my last trackday, I had decided that the day after I would pull the wheels off the R6 and have them powdercoated gold, just to rock the Iron Man motif that it already had going with its colors.

Then I wadded the bike, so that was out the window.


Zip ties. They put duct tapes to shame.

As of two nights ago, I am more or less done putting the R6 back together. I had to take a saw to the bottom race fairing and cut out a piece at the chin so that the front fender would clear. I was test-riding the bike at my personal "test track," and next thing I know coming out of a corner, the bike was stuck straight ahead, and there was resistance in turning them left to right along with a strange noise everytime I did. I pulled over and saw that the back of the front fender had caught on to the chin of the race lowers. It must have happened after hard braking just before the corner, slipping the race lower underneath the front fender, then coming back up to lock on as the forks decompressed. Imagine if I found that out DURING a track day.


Front fender cleared.

Now I'm just left with a handful of fasteners to connect the race upper to the race lower (or maybe just zip-tie those too), fit the undertail, then clean up the bike and get some of the Infineon dirt off of it.

Other than having replaced the full Graves Titanium exhaust system (and losing that distinctive exhaust note as a consequence) and gaining about 10 lbs. of weight by putting the stock exhaust system on, it's still the same R6 that I've grown to adore using for the track. Still rails like that's all it knows how to do exceptionally well.





I'm leaving it gnarly looking like that for now. I just can't have bikes that are too "pretty" for the track. I just end up fucking them up!

So the Iron Man motif is out, it's just War Machine now.