Monday, May 4, 2009

"Make Go"

My very first crash happened a month after I started riding three years ago. It was on the street, on my then first bike the EX500. I ended up tweaking the entire front end; the entire triple clamps and both the forks bent out of alignment. Upon the advice of more seasoned riders, I had set out to fix it myself, and along the way somebody imparted a very memorable nugget of wisdom, which was that it would be easier and cheaper for me to fix a bike to make it go than to make it pretty. They were right. Less than a month after my crash, the bike was up and running again, on used parts I found, all without breaking the bank.

The same is what I've set out to do with the R6.



Rob was quick enough to get around to measuring the important parts of the bike's chassis to let me know ASAP where I would stand. When I dropped off the bike to Rob, the possibility of parting with the bike was on equal footing with fixing it. Two work days later, and Rob gave me a call to tell me where the bike stood, and suffice it to say, the miracle of walking away relatively well from my crash didn't just stop with me. Here's the lowdown for the R6:

The tank was smashed.
A steering stop broke off.
The lower triple clamp was tweaked.
The subframe was decimated.
The fairing stay was smashed off.
The front brake lever was bent.
The exhaust silencer was smashed.
The gauge harness are damaged.

The frame is straight. The swingarm is straight. The forks are straight. The front and rear wheels are straight. The rotors are straight. The engine starts, and everything else was relatively unscathed. Hell, even the key was bent, but it still worked!


Even the tank, if I really wanted to, was still usable. I did, however, find a used albeit slightly scratched blue tank to replace it with.


The subframe shattered in multiple pieces, basically held together by the tail (that I've now scrapped) and the undertray. Speaking of the latter, replacing the bike's tail was a piece of cake as the undertray remained in one piece, so I was just able to slip it right in with the subframe I found.



Rob was able to weld a new steering stop, so I also commissioned him to weld the fairing stay whole again, as the break was clean and the pieces were still bolted onto the bike, while I had the rest of the stay with me.


What neither Rob and I realized was that the fairing stay was actually bent, no doubt from the impact, bending the "arms" inward.


We could probably force it back into proper alignment for proper mounting of the upper fairing, but if that doesn't work out, I'll just have to shell out some more green for a used one, or for an aftermarket replacement one.

The gauge cluster still works as well, and I was able to test it by plugging the damaged gauge harness back on the cluster, but it was short lived as when I tinkered with it while the bike was running, the exposed leads touched each other, shorted the bike, and popped the ignition fuse. I replaced the fuse and took the gauge harness off. I'm now also in the market to replace the gauge harness.



Along with some of the bodywork I was able to salvage to reuse again (front fender, rear hugger, undertail), I found another set of practically unused, rattle-canned set of plastics, eerily similar to what I used to have, although a different color.


So far the subframe's back on so the entire tail end is done and ready. I just need to either get the fairing stay back in proper alignment, or find a replacement one. I still need to remove the entire Graves exhaust system to fit the bike with the stock system I have sitting around, then remap the Power Commander for the stock system. It's funny, I sold off a lot of the street parts for the bike that I didn't need, but some of the items I still have left behind that I haven't been able to sell are actualy doing me some good at this point. How's that for irony?



It's coming along well, coming back together and a lot sooner than I was expecting. For now, I'm going to make it go as soon as possible, and I'll worry about turning it back to a looker later.