Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Back to the Start

I forgot to post that two weekends ago, prior to my cousin's wedding this past weekend, that I was actually at Reno Fernley Raceway (RFR) and did a weekend there. It was a last minute decision after someone offered their spot for me to do two days for the price of one. I thought it was a good opportunity to go back after my very first time (which was my very first track day) back in 2007.



I have to say, either I'm spoiled at all of the California tracks I've done, and/or that I've developed a riding style that was not conducive to RFR's track, but I felt miserable riding that track. In the end, it came down to me realizing that RFR is literally a lot like riding canyon roads; the pavement quality and the pace of the track (over 20 turns, point-and-shoot, etc.) was akin to what I'd find when riding some of the canyon roads I'd frequent. The fastest part of the track was the front straight, diving into turn 1 at over 120mph. That was my favorite part of the track.

I spent the first day toning down my pace to almost 50%, just so I can give myself enough breathing room to learn all 20+ of the turns. When I treated it like I would a canyon run, it became easier for me to go through it.



By the second day, I found a groove enough to up my pace just a tad from the day before, but I still settled for a toned-down run until I left during lunch to make it back home in time for Father's Day.



I have to say, I'd probably choose Buttonwillow of RFR from here on out, and I'm not sure that even a lure of a two-for-one day would bring me back to RFR. MAYBE a two-for-the-price-of-none would...

Don't get me wrong, it's not the track. It's me.