Saturday, December 7, 2013

Wrapping it Up

This past weekend Z2 Trackdays’ held our annual Thanksgiving weekend event at Thunderhill Raceway, which typically doubles as our final event of the season. For a November/December event, you could’ve been fooled into thinking it was just the start of the season with the unseasonably present and warm California sun basking us in golden glory.

What a way to close out one of the most exciting years of my life!

2013, you weren't such a bad year after all!

This season marked my first full season working as Grid and Recovery rew for Z2 Trackdays, a gig that I felt to be a natural progression for me as a trackday enthusiast, having been a participant for well over half a decade now. The day Z2 Trackdays asked me to join their crew was the day a new chapter in my motorcycling life started, a chapter I desperately needed to keep the passion I have for sport riding continue on for many more seasons. I felt like I was given the opportunity to create another level of enjoyment in something that I already have been enjoying.

I hope to build on this, having always wanted to be a trackday instructor. See, I’ve yet to actually race motorcycles; as big of a road racing fan as I am, from club racing to the world level of motorcycle competition, the urge was never strong enough in me to try and race a motorcycle. However, the desire to pass along whatever riding wisdom I’ve gained to newcomers of the sport, now that is a calling that I have been trying to meet, and I feel that being part of Z2 Trackdays’ family leads me that much closer to attaining that goal. And for that alone and the wonderful experience it has been this past season to work their trackdays, I cannot wait for the 2014 track season to begin.


Fortunately, the wait isn’t really that long. California winter really only puts our track riding off-season in December through January, before we can more or less start again some time in February. Still, that leaves quite a few long days and nights to wait it out.

It’s a good thing I have captured memories to get me through it all.