Sunday, March 29, 2009

I Caught a Bug

The mod bug.

Part of the reason I chose the 2002 Yamaha R1 I replaced the Aprilia with was due to its incredibly light weight, along with the following high-performance upgrades it already came with:

Graves Yamaha Titanium Full Exhaust System
- Velocity Stacks
- Smog Block Offs
- Slide Stops
- Radiator Guard
Brembo Radial Pump 19x20 Race Master Cylinder
Sato Type II Adjustable Rearsets
Front and Rear Steel Braided Brake Lines
Scott's Steering Damper
Engine Case Covers
Etc.


Spring cleaning and detailing.


I've never been much of a rider to invest in aftermarket/upgrade parts for a bike; I tend to simply just buy a new bike before I even have to replace a part, but the fact is that my R1 came with very respectable and totally functional upgrades that were not only useful in the track, but were also substantial for everyday use. And as I've pointed out, you cannot ignore how light the bike is. Honda's redesigned 2008 CBR1000 (or Fireblade) is highly regarded for its light weight, practically rivaling 600cc machines. But believe it or not, the 2002 R1 is lighter than the 2008 CBR1000. As far as power, sure the CBR would trump it nowadays, but that does not mean that this generation R1 is lacking. It simply means that the CBR has even more power than what you already don't need (not to knock it).

In any case, since getting the R1, I've always felt like I ought to finish with someone has started before me. I actually liked the idea of re-tooling this seven year old bike to rival, if not trump, today's modern machines without having to break the bank whatsoever. The beauty of owning an older bike is that specific parts made for it back when it was new in 2002, could be found today at bargain prices.

So now I've started a new chapter in my moto-life. Whilst I promised to try and moderate my track days this year, and stop the revolving door for motorcycles in my garage, I think that attempting to focus on this newfound project is going to be a very fun, if not the least bit interesting road for me to go down on.

I've already started the domino effect with the following:



17" Marchesini Forged Aluminum Wheels


Supersprox Stealth Sprocket
and RK X-ring chain kit
(effectively 2 teeth down in
the back for taller gears
perfect for the street)


Vortex Billet Aluminum Upper Clamp


Rizoma Sportsline Billet Aluminum Grips +
Rizoma Billet Aluminum Bar Ends

Tech Speck Gripster Tank Grips

Black OEM Replacement Clutch Lever

I've currently lined up a Superbike-Style Swingarm project with my moto shop, which basically entails a purchase of a used 2002/2003 R1 swingarm, which we'll then weld with aluminum pieces to create a nigh-monobloc look like those found in WSBK/MotoGP bikes, then powdercoated to match my current frame. Kind of like the one pictured below (from Harris Performance), except it won't cost me between $4k and $5k to acquire.


WSB style Swingarm for an '02 R1


Exciting times.