Saturday, March 7, 2009

I Do Have a Dirty Mind...

So I bought a dirt bike.



I did a lot of track days last season, which isn't a complaint in itself other than the fact that it was expensive. Yes, I can afford it, but I could also afford a BMW of my liking but I don't go out and buy one. There has to be a bit of practicality even in one's passion (I think). So this season, I really want to moderate the number of track days that I do, but I know that the only way I can do it is if I have something to hold me over in between.

So I bought a dirt bike.

It's an overall cheaper motorcycling hobby than track days (pay $5 - $7 for a whole day in dirt parks vs. $180 - $300 a day in racetracks), and despite a different kind of fun, the fun factor is immense. I also love how you can drop the bike and just pick it right up and keep riding. You try doing that on a street bike.

There is a problem though.

I now have three bikes (again) in my garage, and the last time I had this many bikes, I went crazy and downsized (let's just say I really like space in the garage). So I've put the R6 up for sale, and if it sells, then my R1 will do street and track duty. However, with the economy right now, it's understandably taking time to sell the R6, yet I'm still going crazy trying to clear the garage of one bike. More and more I'm finding myself wanting to put the WR250F for sale too, and whichever sells first between that and the R6 gets the axe. But I haven't. yet.

I'm trying to control myself, but we'll see how long I can hold my craziness back.